| ||Green tomato cake
| ||This sweet spice type cake may surprise you. Green tomatoes bake very well and are worth a try. Dust with icing sugar or serve plain.
360g pureed or chopped green tomatoes
200g plain flour
2g ground cinnamon
3g ground nutmeg
5g soda bicarbonate
60g chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Place pureed tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with 15g salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Place in a colander, rinse with cold water and drain.
2. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Grease and flour a 9’x13’ baking pan (approx. 23x33cm).
3. Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs and beat until creamy.
4. Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda and 2g salt. Add raisins and nuts to dry mixture; add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Dough will be very stiff. Mix well.
5. Add drained tomatoes and mix well. Pour into prepared baking dish.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes in preheated oven, or until knife inserted into cake comes out clean.